Thursday, August 23, 2007

Dear Drivers of Vtown:

Here's a thought:

Learn how to share the _____ road with someone on a _____ bike!

Jesus Christ.

I am on a bike. My bike weighs probably 20 pounds. You are in a vehicle.

There's that old saying, "anything with more lugnuts will win." Guess
the ____ what? I don't even have lugnuts! (I don't think.) So, you win!

Good for you, you _____ in a ____ two-ton SUV. You don't have to speed by me, or honk at me, or anything. I know you are in a hurry to get to the McDonald's drive-thru. Clearly you are ____ superior.

I fear for my life nearly every time I venture out on to the road;
give me a ____ break, huh?

Please do not speed by me only to turn at the next stop.
Please look out your side windows before pulling out of your driveway.
Please do not hang out behind me driving 10 miles an hour because you think it's polite--it's ____ creepy.
Please do not watch me slam my brakes on at a four-way, and then wave me through. I will take my turn.
Don't you ____ wave me through. I swear to God, I am this ____ close to throwing down, _____.

If you have to wait 3 seconds until it's safe (for all involved) to pass me, then please wait.

I don't like driving on the sidewalks. I realize bikes don't belong on the sidewalks.

But, for ____ sake, you need to start seeing past your ____ steering wheel.

Sincerely,

Girl on Bike Who Hates You

5 comments:

Phil B said...

Amen! Preach it girl! I find that riding in town is a bit nerve-wracking. The people in this town simply don't know how to drive. On the other hand, however, most bikers in this town don't bother following the rules of the road, so it makes for a dangerous situation all around. I know I am guilty of not following all the rules of the road. Often times this stems from not wanting to be smooshed by said SUV, but still, it is a bad habit to get into. Drivers of cars need to simply realize that bikes are no different than other vehicles on the road and should be treated accordingly. With that said, I am going to think about taking a bike ride and instead read some more instead.

s.m. vanosdel said...

fuckin' hell, eh? when i was living in so. dak, i never rode a bike there. now, when i return home, i always bring my bike-- because there is cool stuff to explore in yankton, something i missed during a v. angsty and bored youth. and even though yankton has taken to putting up "share the road" signs, people seem frustrated with bikers. even in minneapolis, when i get someone yelling at me, like "get on the fucking sidewalk" or "move over," it is hard not to just give them the finger or hoist my u-lock in the air as a threat to "share the fucking road." I have learned to do the following: the peace sign, the sign of the cross, or chase them down and wail on them, passive agressively of course, by enlightening them that riding on the sidewalk is illegal. most times, after enough chatting, they give up because they are too busy to deal with me, if they wanted to see the sights and enjoy life, they wouldn't be in their mega suv. most of the time i think they are unhappy. they wish that at some point in their life they too had made the commitment to reducing car emissions, to enjoying the landscape, urban or otherwise, and also, they feel fat and unhappy, which is how i feel every time i get in a car. guilt. so, i no longer guilt them with my middle finger, i just try to educate them. when that doesn't work, hoist the u-lock and aim for their windows and plan an escape route. just joshing.

BrontoJem said...

You didn't mention the red focus that keeps following you on your bike trying to run you down...maybe you didn't mention it because I am so sneaky you don't see me! I. Am. Awesome.

Kelsey said...

Ugh. I am so with you (especially on the wave throughs). I even like riding on the sidewalk, but I've been downtown and had the police force me into the street, so what are you going to do?

From a driver perspective, though, I do hate bikes who ride down the middle of the street like a car because they think they're going the speed limit...because they aren't. Also, I hate power walkers who walk three abreast in the streets. Sidewalks may or may not be for bikes, but they are ABSOLUTELY for pedestrians.

jaytothesea said...

this is some fabulous material for rants on craig's list http://sd.craigslist.org/rnr/. i tried posting something similar about south dakota drivers and it was removed within 72 hours. the lack of f bombs and the ability to insert them at one's leisure might help. those gun racks get in the way of seeing bicycles, too...grrrrrrr.