And it's not so much that you've
noticed how you speak.
at times, you hear an a
come out of your mouth,
and it's high and flat, and
makes you miss
Manitoba.
But now, your students notice
it and ask
where did you come from?
when you tell them,
and the reasons:
school, 4th floor of Cook Hall,
drinking age, hockey
they say,
I thought so.
and you like this duality.
2 countries you can call home
and that way,
you'll never be quite alone.
all that land and you have
2 broad feet.
You drive.
each day, 2 hours
roundtrip.
so you call people,
people who have been on
your mind since New Year's
and you laugh and pretty
soon, you can't remember
If you passed
Beresford.
you never can remember if you've
slid under the overpass.
it is always a surprise to you when
you pass or do not pass
Beresford.
The radio is on and
loud constantly.
You have found a
station that plays
old Country, and
you know that this
is like quilts and farm dogs
and cricks.
you smile the whole stretch
of 1-90
when you hear,
Don't make me come over there
and love you.
because you will.
right now.
you took pictures,
curled up in the C
of big, red Canada.
and when you walked into
the bar, all your friends
said,
My God, do you have to look so
American?
And you say,
Probably.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


7 comments:
Okay this is kind of funny because when I did that resolution thing mine was that I would resolve to blame Canada. Not even kidding.
so does this mean i can't use the word "hoser" in a pejorative way now....?.....eh?
oh and these lines:
and you like this duality.
2 countries you can call home
and that way,
you'll never be quite alone.
all that land and you have
2 broad feet.
and
you never can remember if you've
slid under the overpass.
freakin' rock my face off. no joke.
My super-duper official policy is, whenever in doubt, to unhesitatingly, unflinchingly, and unequivocally Blame Canada. (I would tell you what my computer-generated resolution thingy was, but frankliy? It's too embarrassing!) But mostly, I just wanted to say I love your Canada poem.
Marcia: Crazy. This furthers my belief that we are being watched at all times. More on that later ...
M. Psychosis: Use "hoser" all you want. Try it in a Canadian accent-it's even more biting that way. Also, I am knee deep and lovin' it in your latest posts.
Artichoke Heart: Your last post? Here is what I should have commented:
Jesus H. Christ. How in the hell do you write like that? You blew my mind (and I loved so much your use of "you" that I wanted to try it out).
All 3: I'm thinking maybe some karaoke at The Eagles on Friday? I might need to rally the troops.
Blame Canada!
This is an amazing poem. I LOVE it! I hope you still value my opinion even though my computer generated resolution was to get myself admitted to a mental institution.
We are being watched at all times. I know it!
i know i've said this before, but it's the squirrels...
...
they're actually gov't spies
Hey, thank you, Lu! Second person is sometimes really just the thing, isn't it? (Have you read Jay McInerey's Bright Lights, Big City? (Made into a cheesy Michael J. Fox movie in 80's (Blame Canada!) The entire novel's in second person, which probably shouldn't work, but it does.)
My troops could definitely use rallying, I think.
And yes . . . the squirrels. I caught one once licking the brickwork outside Dakota Hall. In retrospect, I realize that this was an obvious ruse to disguise some sort of covert ops that I had inadvertently come upon.
Post a Comment