Saturday, March 10, 2007

Spring Broke

I have a new favorite band.

cha cha cha

They rock my world.

cha cha cha

Vermillion's own Poker Alice played last night at Carey's, and I haven't done that much foot-stomping, up-beat clapping, and knee-slapping since the last time I was at a North Dakota wedding dance. Dance, dance revolution, folks. I better teach all my dancing partners to Sweetheart Polka with me. Then we can really show up all those jitterbuggers.

An after-party at L.'s, complete with Doritos, dates, and more fun drama than we could all process. My left hand is a bit clawed up from a sleek, feral animal that resides with L. (ahem, I'm just saying, I think the city should know you are housing a mountain lion).

I've been down to the river lots this Spring Break, and have spent much time looking into the bright sky for the geese. I can hear them; I just always can't see them. I've also been running my hands over the graffitti underneath the bridge, thinking of how I will leave my mark. Today, as Jackson and I walked to the dog park, we passed two little girls on the bike path. They were in shorts and tank tops. Both were in their bare feet, splashing in a puddle that was snow hours earlier.

As I passed them, I said, girls, aren't you freezing?

Nooo! they sang back.

Spring Fever.

Together, Jackson and I have logged over 12 miles these past three days. It's been so beautiful out, we don't notice the distance until we've looped the river and are on our way back again. He's a good dog, just not the best on a leash. He sees a squirrel and flips. OK, understandable. He hears the wind rustle some leaves and flips. Seriously, Jackson? Sometimes I laugh though; a squirrel will just about hop over him, and he's so busy sniffing the ground he doesn't even notice. If Jackson knew my squinty, half-deaf powers of observation were better than his, he'd be totally embarassed.

As Jackson's stay here is winding down, this photo probably sums up the way we all feel about each other:



One last thing to report: got my taxes done this week. This is the first year I've actually put in a full 12 months of work. Momma's gettin' a refund, baby! So, when you see me zoom around town in my new Vespa (probably a pearly green), just know she works hard for the money.



Ciao, signorinella!

No comments: