I walked a lot this past Sunday: down to the river and home, to campus and home, to L.'s for L Word night and home. When I am walking, I need music, so I always pack up my "iPod." Actually, it's a bona fide discman circa 1997. It's the size of my face. I won this technological wonder at my After Prom party Junior year. It's got electronic skip protection, so you know it's good.
I like to pop in one of my famous burnt CD's (with all the Hot New Artists like Linda Ronstadt, Willie Nelson, A-Ha, Journey, and REO Speedwagon) and be on my way. I also like to sing along to the songs, but I realize this looks (and sounds) pretty weird, so I try to sing along in a stealthy manner. Like, I barely move my lips, and sometimes, I'll pause a song and keep singing just to make sure I'm not too loud.
Pretty sure I am not fooling anyone.
This is why I like to go along the bike path at the river--usually no one is down there and I can sing and bust a move all I want. I like to pretend I'm in a music video, and the wind is blowing my orange vest and I'm walking like Tony Manero and I more than likely singing a Meatloaf or Cher song:
Oh, you took the words right outta my mouth.
It must have been while you were kissing me.
or
If you can give it, I can take it.
Cuz if this heart is gonna break, it's gonna take
a lot to break it.
You're gonna go down in flames,
just like Jesse James.
Or maybe their classic duet together: something about being all revved up. And having no place to go.
This is why I will never be a hipster.
OK, and this is off-topic, but I really love these students who come in my office and ask, "are we doing anything today?" Um, no. It's a 3 hour class that meets once a week. We are going to stare at the wall for an hour and 15 minutes, take a 10 minute break, then resume staring at the wall. Or, of you like, the carpet. Your choice.

I also really love these students who come in an hour before their midterm portfolios are due (which was assigned BEFORE Spring Break, meaning they have known about it and have had 2 weeks to work on them) and say their computers "broke" and they don't have their sources.
I don't even know what that means.


1 comment:
I thought I was the only one who did that. I stop the music to see how loud I am singing too. Man, you don't need to be a hipster 'cause you are a karaoke superstar!
I love students who think that because school was cancelled, personal policies about not taking late midterms no longer apply. 17 DEF's don't lie.
Post a Comment