Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Pet Files, and Other Musings

I am done.

It's a little weird to think I won't be grading papers for at least 2 and a half months. I keep expecting student e-mails with attached late assignments, and them asking me, for the billionth time, how to get to the IL quizzes.

All is quiet now.

I had a good semester. I like the student demographic up here. My students are a little older, have a little more experience, are a bit more receptive of issues brought up in class. As I was reading through the last essays last night, one of my students warned us of being "aware of pet files." His paper discussed the creepy doctor in William Carlos Williams' "The Use of Force," and what he meant to say was "pedophile." But, I will be on the lookout for pet files from now on.

I had a few nice surprises in the final portfolios. One of my rockstar students gave me a copy of his band's CD. Other students wrote in their last journal entry how much they enjoyed class. Maybe these are attempts to soften me up while I grade, but I choose to believe in their sincerity.

I am done:

2 comments:

Phil B said...

I still say you are a slacker, slacker. I, too, choose to believe that the notes and comments in class that speak to my prowess as an instructor are heartfelt, rather than lame attempts to get a bit better grade. Deep down, I know they are simply trying to butter me up, but as long as I can delude myself, I will. Have a great summer...slacker!

Artichoke Heart said...

Congratulations on being done! Yay! I'm done, too! Hooray for being done! And what? The notes that say my class was the Best. Class. Ever? Are you saying they might be faux praise? What???