
I don't even like kids that much. (I love 'em.)
My dog, Rufus, and I also went for lots of Jeep rides all over the countryside:

We saw two white-tail bucks that Rufus chased each time. While Rufus is pretty fast and fearless, he didn't have a chance. The bucks would watch him zigzag through the prairie, let him get about 50 yards away, and then bound off. They smoked poor Rufus.
I had an awesome, awesome time in North Dakota. We went to the pool, the lake, Harry Potter. Super-duper fun.
Conversations:
At the weekly Belfield community grill-out, where my dad asks a neighbor about rain.
Dad: Ray, how much rain did you get the oher night?
Ray: An inch and a quarter.
Dad: Huh. We got 65 hundredths. Man, you people up north get everything: more rain, more land, more sex.
Me, to my mom: Aaaand, I am gone.
Mom: I'm right behind you.
At the lake, I made my 8 yr old cousin Tucker strap on his life jacket and swim way out with me.
Tuck: Lindy, are there sharks in here?
Me: Sharks? Nah. You have to watch out for the octopus, though.
Tuck: Nuh-uh! Really?
Me: And the giant squid.
Tuck: Giant squid! Oh, man!
And later in the lake, I am once again explaining to Tucker how he and I are related while 10 yr old Trevor is swimming with us.
Me: Tucker, your mom and my mom are sisters. Your mom is my mom's youngest sister.
Trev: Yeah, you moron.
Me: Just like you are Trevor's youngest sister.
Trev (laughing): Yeah!
Tuck (matter of factly): Trevor, I am not your sister. I am your brother.
Me: Oh, that's right.
And to round the week off, we had a big cook-out at the farm and ended the evening with fireworks. For the big grand finale, I had this awesome reloader and the first two went off beautifully. Then I put the third firework in the tube.
Me: Dad, it's stuck.
Dad: Just light it.
Me: Um, yeah, but if it's stuck, don't you think it will--
Dad: Just light it.
Me: Okay...
So, you know those great fireworks that fill the sky and bloom and flower out, and then at the ends, they pop some more? Picture that fifty feet in front of you on the ground.
The smoke cleared and my family uncurled from the duck and cover position:
Me: Ta daa!!


5 comments:
I giggled my whole way through this. I love you so much and I am so glad you are home.
Damn, sounds like a good time. When did Rufus get so big? I'm glad you lived through the fireworks show. I still have a mild fear of eels from such a swimming incident. Good to have you back, though I guess you're actually farther away from me now.
Sounds absolutely idyllic. Thanks for the awesome postage!
ah, freakin' midwest is damn beautiful (sigh). even lesbians can't leave: they voyage far, to antartica, mesa verde, boulder, costa rica, ranches in san antonio, anywhere to put dirt under the shadow of nail that they's got--but then they remember, "i can do that at home."
Man, you Catholics still know how to breed...
I love the Jeep and I absolutely love Rufus. What a rood rog! I want to give him a big hug. Can we swap Xavi for Rufus?
Thanks for the party last night. It was so fab to sit under the moon and stars with you & Bridgie again.
Post a Comment