Isn't that like a Star Wars thing, or something?
I am just proud of all my friends and colleagues for our showing at USF's "Intersections" conference yesterday.
*Please note: I am using our real names.
Sarah, Katy, and I went up early to hear the keynote speaker, a woman from the Sociology Department at Augustana, and after her talk, we three were huddled in a mass picking apart "gender" and what's natural and what isn't.
We went to a panel on gender and its visual representations, and were introduced to some iconoclastic photographers and pop artists. Super cool.
Then, after a cafeteria lunch, I heard my friends and fellow teachers, Erica, Ken, Katy, and Sarah present on gender identities during the Medieval age. I did lots of Medieval as an undergrad, so much was familiar, and all four did a fantastic job. I've never heard my friend Katy present a scholarly article before, and she did such a nice job--engaging and smart--check her out on the news!
After an amazing dinner at Sanaa's, this colorful Mediterranean place in downtown Sioux Falls, we headed over to Warp and Weft, a funky art gallery. That's where the artwork and creative readings took place. One of my BFF's Erin came to listen, too!
I have to brag, USD represented. I love hearing Annie read, and each time I hear her pieces, I get more and more out of them. She's so energetic. And Marcella. Her poetry is perfect. Completely perfect, and she reads with such quiet passion. And me? OK, I gotta brag a little bit, I brought down the effin' house. People were rolling. It was so much fun.
Me, Bridge, Annie, and Marcia then went for cocktails at Minerva's, where I had vodka and Marcia ordered a Sex on the Beach. And it's just so cute seeing a grown woman order that. Marcia said she wished it had a different name.
So, in the future, this is how she'll order a Sex on the Beach:
I'd like you to mix together Malibu, orange juice, pineapple, maraschino cherries, and anything else that is in a Sex on the Beach, please.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


2 comments:
Aws! Thank you!
I am soooooo proud of us too! We totally repped!
Your poems were so very good, so very funny, and I am just amazed by how ARTFUL you, Annie, and Marcella's work and presentation styles are!
I think we kinda pretty much owned GenCon 08, don't you?
Maybe I just need to grow up. You know, graduate to a cranberry and vodka, drink red wine, and down some whiskey shots when I get the chance.
But that is all too stressful.
For now, I will drink my sex on the beach, white wine that tastes like candy, and tequila because I like saying the word.
Growing up takes a lot of effort that I am just not ready to give right now.
Love you.
Post a Comment